Monday, March 1, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

I based this off of the Simply Recipes's Easy Shepherd's Pie.  I used half ground turkey (for me...to make it Endo Diet-friendly) and half ground beef (to make it husband friendly) and put cheese only on his half.  It was good but the meat could have used a bit of sage, thyme and/or rosemary since I didn't use Worchestershire sauce (I was pretty much out and I looked at the ingredients...and decided not to buy it).  I definitely add some of those next time.  You can add additional or different vegetables depending on what you like and have around.

1 1/2 lbs ground meat (lamb, beef, turkey or any combination)
3-4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 head of broccoli, chopped
2-3 shallots, chopped
2 lbs. potatoes (I used red), scrubbed and quarted, but not peeled
4-6 tbsp olive oil
1 cup almond milk (or other alternative milk)
Shredded cheese (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400.  Put potatoes in a large pot of cold water, bring to a boil and continue to boil for 20 minutes.

While potatoes are cooking, saute carrots, broccoli, and shallot in about 2-3 tbsp olive oil for 5-7 minutes, then add meat and brown meat.  Remove from heat, add spices and mix throughly.

Place meat and vegetable mix in a baking dish or large casserole.  Drain potatoes and place them back in the hot pot they were cooked in. Mash potatoes, adding remaining olive oil and alternative milk.  Spread mashed potatoes on top of the meat and vegetable mix.  Add cheese if desired.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Serves 4-6.

No comments: