Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Vegetable Ratatatouille

I found this recipe in The Gluten-Free Vegan book.  I've removed the peppers and mushrooms that were in the original recipe since I don't really like them.  I also didn't use the sweet potatoes or garbanzo beans this time since I didn't feel like having them.  I made my husband some steak and I ate it with lentils and pinto beans.  I thought it turned out well (despite forgetting to add the garlic), but I'm definitely in need of a break from tomatoes.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion
3 large carrots, chopped
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into cubes
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 small zucchinis, sliced
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 tbsp basil
1 tsp Italian seasoning 
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp coarse kosher salt
Pepper to taste

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the onions.  Saute until it begins to soften, then add the carrots, eggplant, and garlic.  Continue to saute for 5 minutes.  Add the zucchini, tomatoes, vegetable stock, and seasonings, and continue to cook for another 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender but not mushy.  Season with salt and pepper, and adjust herbs if desired.

Serves 4.


No comments: